PCR Drift, how does it happen?

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
Digimel

PCR Drift, how does it happen?

Post by Digimel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:46 am

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rommel, I am newbie in Digital Broadcasting. My collegue have introduce me to this forum and I find alot of topics really interesting.

I am looking for help, help me to understand why or how PCR Drift error happen.
So we have a DVB Compression System from Harmonic ( Electra X and PS9K MUX/scmblr ) and for PIDS, VIDEO and PCR have same PID.
We are experiencing PCR Drift on some program of our TS. We can see PCR drift error on Tektronics MTS400 Mpeg Analyzer. We tried to analyze the TS using dektec but it is hard to identify PCR drift error on Dektec.

We try to understand also the settings for PCR drift of Tektronics Analyzer. the default settings is mHz, when I choose higher profile drift error appears faster while when I define the filter to 1mHz no PCR drift error appear.

On Tektronics MTS400 the PCR drift error encountered after 5 minutes upon plugin of the input to analyzer, strange is that when I refresh the stream analyzer it will took again 5 minutes to encounter that error.

So to summarize, we would like to know how or why PCR drift encountered?
What is the right settings on the analyzer for PCR drift ?
How can we rectify this issue and what is the effects on this to TS. We expect that video and audio out of synch might encounter but so far no incident reported.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!