8 vsb test gear

It's just radio with pictures! :)
rich wood

8 vsb test gear

Post by rich wood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Howdy,
I am looking for a reasonably priced PC based 8 VSB analyzer. The Rhode Schwarz FSH3 looks like a fine unit but is more than I am hoping to spend. My needs are for portability and a good level of accuracy for analyzing transmitter output signals. Any suggestions? Thanks

davek

Re: 8 vsb test gear

Post by davek » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 am

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57 am

Excellent,, thanks

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Check out these guys . . .

http://www.avateq.com

I was seriously considering one until I ferreted out a used R&S EFA. A couple of stations that I contract for have them installed as permanent monitoring devices. They always match my EFA. (And if I had to replace my EFA for some reason I could probably buy one of the Avateq boxes for the cost of repair and calibration of the EFA.)

And speaking of the EFA you might find a "retired" EFA sitting on a shelf at a client's transmitter site [model 53, or model 93 (if I remember correctly) with the ATSC option]. You also might turn up a retired Tek RFA-300, although that would be a pig in a poke. (I have a friend that has a "cloned" HDD from an RFA-300 if you do find one with a crashed HDD and want to play with it.)

I wouldn't waste my time or money with an FSH-3, or even an ETL though. And the EFA can measure a few parameters that even the ELT couldn't handle, last time I checked.) Both are VERY overpriced for what you get and you will still need a decent spectrum analyzer to come close to measuring that -110-dB, even with a channel reject filter.