8 vsb test gear

It's just radio with pictures! :)
rich wood

8 vsb test gear

Post by rich wood » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Howdy,
I am looking for a reasonably priced PC based 8 VSB analyzer. The Rhode Schwarz FSH3 looks like a fine unit but is more than I am hoping to spend. My needs are for portability and a good level of accuracy for analyzing transmitter output signals. Any suggestions? Thanks

davek

Re: 8 vsb test gear

Post by davek » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:11 am

rich wood

Post by rich wood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:57 am

Excellent,, thanks

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Check out these guys . . .

http://www.avateq.com

I was seriously considering one until I ferreted out a used R&S EFA. A couple of stations that I contract for have them installed as permanent monitoring devices. They always match my EFA. (And if I had to replace my EFA for some reason I could probably buy one of the Avateq boxes for the cost of repair and calibration of the EFA.)

And speaking of the EFA you might find a "retired" EFA sitting on a shelf at a client's transmitter site [model 53, or model 93 (if I remember correctly) with the ATSC option]. You also might turn up a retired Tek RFA-300, although that would be a pig in a poke. (I have a friend that has a "cloned" HDD from an RFA-300 if you do find one with a crashed HDD and want to play with it.)

I wouldn't waste my time or money with an FSH-3, or even an ETL though. And the EFA can measure a few parameters that even the ELT couldn't handle, last time I checked.) Both are VERY overpriced for what you get and you will still need a decent spectrum analyzer to come close to measuring that -110-dB, even with a channel reject filter.

NavyBOFH

Post by NavyBOFH » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 pm

I am glad someone else posted this since I came here for the same question.

With all the working up to the repack and so-forth, we have been in the works of installing a new encoding package for our system and including return feed monitoring and other niceties we have been working on for some time.

Our one issue is we haven't addressed replacing the RFA300A RF analyzers we have on our stations, which are slowly dying off as we lose power supplies or LCD screens from age.

I looked at the Avateq and DekTec stuff and the consensus here was they didn't want to waste their money on "a glorified SDR receiver". Because those were shot down (though still in my proposal), I have been quoting out the R&S ETL (which will also be ATSC 3.0 compatible later on), and have contacted Keysight and Tektronix to see if they have a setup that would meet 8VSB and OFDM requirements for measurement and monitoring... so far nothing from them.

Are there any other brands out there or is this what we are "stuck" with these days? I would prefer a "standalone" setup like the R&S as the Avateq and others means getting IT involved in adding more equipment to our network and already limited microwave backhaul.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 pm

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66