Small diameter balanced mic cable OK? Source?

Fran3

Small diameter balanced mic cable OK? Source?

Post by Fran3 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 am

We have run a number of mic cables from one studio to another and the existing hole is small and difficult to expand.

The balanced XLR mic cables I've used have been about 1/4 inch in diameter but I have seen XLR mics with ~1/8 inch dia cable.

1 - Is any disadvantage to the small diameter cable.
2 - When buying what exactly is the description? 2-pair twisted with shield or what?
3 - Source & typical price?

Thanks for any help.

Shane

Re: Small diameter balanced mic cable OK? Source?

Post by Shane » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:07 am

One difference could be in the shielding. Regular mic cable usually has a braided or stranded shield which flexs easily. Smaller diameter cable might be foil shielded. This is fine for a fixed permanent installation, such as wiring to a mic jack on the table, but if flexed might introduce noise when flexed.

So, it depends on how you use it. What you describe looks like a permanent install. Therefore, foil shield should be ok if that's what the smaller diameter cable has.

In a situation where we had mics in a booth with cable to run out to another studio for processing, RDL preamps were added under the table where the mic jacks are mounted, sending line level to the processors rather than mic level. Something else to consider if the mic line is running some distance. And we used the smaller diameter foil-shielded stuff on both sides of the preamps since nothing would be moving.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Belden 8451.

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:24 am

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/223B

Fran3 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 am
We have run a number of mic cables from one studio to another and the existing hole is small and difficult to expand.

The balanced XLR mic cables I've used have been about 1/4 inch in diameter but I have seen XLR mics with ~1/8 inch dia cable.

1 - Is any disadvantage to the small diameter cable.
2 - When buying what exactly is the description? 2-pair twisted with shield or what?
3 - Source & typical price?

Thanks for any help.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 am

That's 1/4" diameter.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Call Walter at Ramtronix.

1-800-528-4550
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:01 pm

If these are fixed cables I second TPT's suggestion. Belden 8451 or 9451. (the two cables are essentially identical -- 9451, the foil shield is bonded to the outer jacket & comes off with it. 8451, the foil stays with the wire.) These are single-pair cables.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66