More TV mergers coming soon.

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
KPJL FM

More TV mergers coming soon.

Post by KPJL FM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 am

The FCC reversed the UHF Discount ruling, that allowed more ownership in the UHF band than the VHF. This is an old rule that was dropped after the move to digital, and some networks/station groups wanted put back so they could by more stations in a given market. The network I work for is one of those. As is, right now the transmitter I take care of is moving to another stations facility and by the looks of it, I'll be 'retiring' around the end of June.
The biggest speculation is that Sinclair and Tribune Media will merge, but that's not a done deal (as of 8:25 this morning - it's still early on a Friday...). My employer may want to get in on this action, also, since the transmitter move is going to a Tribune facility.
Going to be an interesting summer.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

w9wi

Re: More TV mergers coming soon.

Post by w9wi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

Imho the uhf discount has been obsolete for 35 years.

I'm on both sides of the coin about relaxing the ownership limits, but they should be the same on both bands.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Lee_Wheeler

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Technically it makes no sense whatsoever but be careful what you wish for. The queue is already forming at the bankruptcy court for some of the major radio groups.

...Lee

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:25 am

Radio controls their means of distribution. Hop in your car and turn the radio on...
TV is increasingly dependent on other carriers--cable and satellite. I haven't watched OTA TV for years..increasingly my prime-time TV watching includes programs straight from network servers via a download channel on our local cable. Hence I'm no longer watching any local spots.

And TV demos are getting older and older. Sales manager we know at a Sinclair station reports hardly any audience below 35. He's vested in the pension plan of the former group owner of that station..a couple more years and he's out.