Backup STL link

Gotta watch those Fresnel zones!
mbrockm

Backup STL link

Post by mbrockm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:07 am

Looking for idea on a "cheap" backup link between our Studios and AM site for site control. Using Burk Arc SL plus. I am using a pair of 950 Marti STL 10 for audio. Transmitter control is thru DSL. We have had several DSL outages in recent months. The distance is about a mile and a half. Line of site would have a few trees if I avoid putting anything on our towers. Do have an Leased line OPX phone link still in place. No idea the length of the copper in this link. It has been in place for decades and no one has any records of the path. But it still works. Looking for suggestions on equipment for either a wireless link or a serial link using my OPX line.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering

jammerdave

Re: Backup STL link

Post by jammerdave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am

For that distance, I would think a 900 mhz data link on a couple of yagis would do the trick, even through some trees. Ubiquiti, or Mikrotik, and the like. I'm using Mikrotik radios diplexed into one of my STL paths, and it works great across the Sacramento metro out to south of rancho cordova.

dave

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am

If you're just looking for a backup positive way to shut off the transmitter, why not use the squelch contacts on the STL receiver and connect it to one of the transmitter external interlock connections? Shut down the STL transmitter and off goes your broadcast transmitter.

mbrockm

Post by mbrockm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 am

jammerdave wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am
I'm using Mikrotik radios diplexed into one of my STL paths, and it works great across the Sacramento metro out to south of rancho cordova.
What model of MIkrotik are using? What did they cost?
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering

mbrockm

Post by mbrockm » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am

Kelly wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:40 am
If you're just looking for a backup positive way to shut off the transmitter, why not use the squelch contacts on the STL receiver and connect it to one of the transmitter external interlock connections? Shut down the STL transmitter and off goes your broadcast transmitter.
A good idea for a failsafe. Looking more to monitor site when my DSL fails. Or maybe a better link than my DSL. It is pretty slow better than dialup but still slow.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Mikrotik Metal9HPn
$108 each from streakwave.
https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=RBMetal9HPn

df
mbrockm wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 am
jammerdave wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am
I'm using Mikrotik radios diplexed into one of my STL paths, and it works great across the Sacramento metro out to south of rancho cordova.
What model of MIkrotik are using? What did they cost?