Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
Larry Milliken

Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

Post by Larry Milliken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 am

Do any of you have a schematic of the Burk ARC-16 ESI card? I have a couple of cards needing repair. One has distorted audio and the other will not answer incoming calls. A diagram would greatly help. Thanks.

RGORJANCE

Re: Burk ARC-16 ESI Card

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:13 am

Larry:

I looked thru the docs. I had, but there wasn't a schematic.

Your ESI units might be ok. Read the following:

I have 6 ARC-16 units in several of the stations I service. Our land lines on a three of them went away as the phone companies didn't want to replace a major cable in the rural areas that deteriorated. We switched three xmttr sites to cell and the problems stayed with us. The ARC-16 ESI card does not recognize the tones when going thru cell systems. The Burk answers, plays the message and upon entering the password, immediately hangs up. We get highly distorted tones thru the cell system. Their filtering alters those tones and the Burk barfs! If you are trying to use the Burk via cell service, you are probably not going to have any success. :evil:

Our next effort is to try the SINE System. There are component changes listed in service bulletins that might allow us to use it. Will report on that effort when I get the SINE to play with.

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:01 pm

IIRC the ESI had its own manual, but I do not have one in my collection of Burk manuals.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Have two sites using a "home phone" cell unit and a Sine with success. These are Verizon cell phones with a telephone jack and external antenna. Interestingly, the A.T. & T version doesn't work--Sine won't answer.

w4cl

Post by w4cl » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am

Do you have a ESI or ESI-CI? There are two different schematics? I have both in pdf format.

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:23 am

If the ESI will not answer incoming calls, but is otherwise working (calls out OK), the ring detect optoisolator may be bad. On the older boards this is a 4N35, socketed and pretty easy to find and replace.

I had a Burk remote control at one site that developed distorted audio on phone calls. Turned out the R/C was fine, problem was with the lightning protection device on the phone line ahead of the Burk.

Larry Milliken

Post by Larry Milliken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm

W4cl I could use both pdf schematics if you would email them to larrymilliken94@gmail.com I would appreciate it. And thanks awsherrill for the tip about the optoisolator! Thanks everyone for the help. As you know Burk no longer supports these remote control units.

Larry

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm

I had a problem similar to yours on a ESI. I found the low value resistors (10 ohms I think) right at the input to the phone line had gone high in value, probably from a surge. Check those.