Gates 5 failure

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
ChuckG

Re: Gates 5 failure

Post by ChuckG » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm

PA_TUNE; Yep. The station runs 5kW day/500W night. The revised capacitor plate is there for exactly the reason you say it is. We have two Gates 5's at that station, one installed in 1991, now standby, and the main installed in 2002. The 2002 box came with the revised plate, the '91 did not.

Mark, I think you came up with the same failure scenario I did. Cap gave out, high voltage on the strap caused an arc which finally extinguished when the strap melted, but not before ripping out handfuls of FET's. I did find an arc mark on the top lid of the cabinet, directly above the strap. Bingo.

6 hours crouched over.... and it's back up and running. Numbers are right on the factory checkout sheet. Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions!
Attachments
CAM00317.jpg
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

PA_TUNE

Post by PA_TUNE » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:51 am

ChuckG wrote:
6 hours crouched over.... and it's back up and running. Numbers are right on the factory checkout sheet. Thanks all for the ideas and suggestions!
Glad to see it's happy again! I would assume that most of those 6 hours were spent removing and reinstalling the 5000 screws that attach the output network to the top of the transmitter. :)
Last edited by PA_TUNE on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:34 pm

PA_TUNE wrote: I would assume that most of those 6 hours we spent removing and reinstalling the 5000 screws that attach the output network to the top of the transmitter. :)
Been in there before, eh? :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin