IBOC or MDCL

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
sallen

IBOC or MDCL

Post by sallen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:28 pm

If you were running 50KW (or 10kw to 50kw) and it was mandated to choose IBOC or MDCL mode of operation which would you choose. One over comes environmental noise, the other increased efficiency. One cost money to implement (royalties) the other is free on some newer AM transmitters and does not require a new radio or consumer upgrade.

What is truly in the best interest of AM radios future IBOC or MDCL?

Deep Thought

Re: IBOC or MDCL

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 am

IBOC overcomes environmental noise?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:54 am

Deep Thought wrote:IBOC overcomes environmental noise?
Sure it does. For at least 2 or 3 adjacent channels.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 am

Was trying to be nice to IBOC. Some proponents say other about IBOC like, um um Well was trying to be nice. I have a client that runs IBOC and another runs MDCL. I do notice that some environmental noise is less noticeable on the IBOC station when I monitor the IBOC station with an IBOC radio. But I do believe MDCL would be better over all. But for the IBOC station it is not my place to tell them what mode to run in, it's not what they pay me for.

But I can ask a simple question like IBOC or MDCL.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 am

If you are listening on an IBOC ("HD") radio you should hear no environmental noise since it is digital (that goes for AM and FM). You either get a clear signal or you don't get anything. Problem is, you need an IBOC radio to get that benefit.

MDCL is something entirely different and doesn't seem to be much of a benefit for any stations under around 10 KW.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:04 am

I agree on using MDCL on 10kw or lower the benefit is minimal. But for 25KW and above, which some people say will be the only AM stations left that have a chance of generating revenue, it does. I would lean towards MDCL because you don't need a special radio, no royalties for the technology and it saves a 50KW station money.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:47 pm

I see you made the move over to these parts promoting MDCL now Steve!

Steve and I got into a similar discussion on another forum where his discussion of IBOC vs. MDCL was brought up. As others have mentioned here, to me the two are apples and oranges by comparison.. Both fruit, but completely different.

When driving through the Richmond, VA and Philadelphia, PA areas recently, I noted two stations were clearly running MDCL. The way I could tell was the noticeable terrestrial noise floor going up and down with the carrier. It was almost like someone was ramping the carrier power up and down. (Yes I know essentially that's what it does) The effect is even more pronounced when local terrestrial noise is high around the receiver from electrical noise, switching supplies, etc. To me, I don't think the risk of alienating more AM listeners for a few pennies a month in power savings is worth the risk.

sallen

Post by sallen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 pm

For me I'm dealing with two client stations that I know are running MDCL and are running it right from what I can tell. I work with AM in both MDCL and IBOC as well as regular AM.

Kelly on the two stations you think are running MDCL, are they in fact. Have you asked the engineer?

I think the big difference here is I have to make AM work and embrace it for my clients or find a new job. I really didn't know the two stations in my area were running MDCL till I got a look at the transmitter. I live/work in a unique place where I can have a gravy commute, little stress except for contactors, but I have to work with 50KW am transmitters. I do think that Kelly and I are at different points in the conversation and have different views. I know AM is in it's last years, maybe 20. But I still have to make AM work for my clients till that time is up. I see some good things from MDCL, power savings and less stress on the antenna system. I'm going to be listening for the negative artifacts a little closer. I admit I live in an area where the worse background noise is the 50KW sites I maintain. Unless I'm sitting by the new pizza place in town with that funky infrared pizza oven, I'll try listening next to them, bad for my diet.

Since I work exclusively with 50KW am stations I fell they will be the ones left near the end of AM's life and would benefit the most from MDCL as AM fades off into the sunset.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:59 pm

Intentional BuzzSaw on Channel is a disaster for AM, and in the least is a nuisance for adjacent channel stations.

IBOC was an oversell and it's usage fees/royalty are obscene, and IBOC receivers are NOT the norm.

With so much man-made electrical noise, I would not modify a transmitter nor use a modulation method that produces or allows more noise in the receiver.

I would put my stations' cash into top-of-the-line audio processors.
I see some good things from MDCL, power savings and less stress on the antenna system.
I have never seen an ATU or an antenna go up in smoke when properly designed for the licensed PO.

COMMENG

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Kelly,

Was one of the Philly stations 990?
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:31 pm

sallen wrote:Kelly on the two stations you think are running MDCL, are they in fact. Have you asked the engineer?
It is trivially easy to see it on a field meter.

As for your prediction of AM's death, you might want to find another line of work if that is your attitude toward it. Please take the station owners with the same attitude with you.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:56 am

Deep Thought wrote:
...As for your prediction of AM's death, you might want to find another line of work if that is your attitude toward it. Please take the station owners with the same attitude with you.
If I had this attitude I would find a new line of work.

COMMENG

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Ah Radio is just a fad.... TV is where it's at!! :lol: :mrgreen:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Re: TV is where it's at!!

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:19 pm

TV=mirrors and voodoo! :lol:

Fossil

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:27 pm

TV=Recliner, Cold Adult Beverage and Remote Control.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com