Contactors!

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
ChuckG

Re: Contactors!

Post by ChuckG » Wed May 24, 2017 11:20 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm
You lost me at the -40.
Two hats, two pairs of gloves, three pair thermal underwear.....
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Re: Contactors!Two hats, two pairs of gloves, three pair thermal underwear.....

Post by RGORJANCE » Thu May 25, 2017 5:17 am

Phhhffttttt! Barking doggy slippers, warm robe, roaring fireplace, hot coffee, kringle, morning paper! :lol: "What, me worry?"

Been pretty lucky. Contacts on motorized contactors at site I have only went bad in decent weather. I'm overdue!

Fossil

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:
You lost me at the -40.
There are reasons why some of us live south of the Mason-Dixon line. This past winter I had only one significant snowfall, and since the Explorer was parked near the mouth of the driveway in anticipation of the snow I didn't even have to shovel. I got to and from the Explorer in boots for the two days it took for the driveway to melt out.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:17 am
Phhhffttttt! Barking doggy slippers, warm robe, roaring fireplace, hot coffee, kringle, morning paper! :lol: "What, me worry?"

Fossil
Makes me long to have winter back.

We have an old Johnson switch- I think actually made by Johnson - which has arthritic joints. It used to take 2 entire seconds to move from one position to the other. Now it apparently takes longer because you have to hit it twice.

I could change the duration of the pulse from the R/C.

It is fun to watch people's reactions to it when it goes off. It still makes me jump if I'm there at the time. Fortunately it doesn't get used much. Only when we have to use the peanut whistle PSSA LPB box.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 am
kkiddkkidd wrote:
You lost me at the -40.
There are reasons why some of us live south of the Mason-Dixon line. This past winter I had only one significant snowfall, and since the Explorer was parked near the mouth of the driveway in anticipation of the snow I didn't even have to shovel. I got to and from the Explorer in boots for the two days it took for the driveway to melt out.
You got that right... I have actually shoveled snow a few times but it was just trying to get enough scraped up for a decent snowman. If there is enough snow here to require shoveling the driveway, there ain't nothing open to drive to anyway.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Fri May 26, 2017 6:49 am

Shane wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm
We have an old Johnson switch- I think actually made by Johnson - which has arthritic joints.
I dealt with some of those for a number of years. They were part of a 1947 RCA turnkey build that I took over nearly 50 years later, and Johnson was building RCA's phasors in the late '40s, so they had Johnson contactors and inductors, both fixed and adjustable. Loosening the joints involved a shot of cortisone ... oh, wait, that's my arthritic joints. For the Johnsons I washed the joints thoroughly with acetone while exercising them to remove old gummed up lubricant, then heat-dried them and re-lubricated. I disremember which brand of Teflon oil I used then (it was before I switched to Tri-Flow) but that did the trick.

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 am

You guys forgot your snowshoes, mufflers (scarves for you Southern boys), jumper cables and one shot instant start. And don't forget the lock de-icer.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

sallen

Post by sallen » Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 am

Most important, Heated Leather Seats for those early morning calls. This year in the Puget Sound we had a little Snow. To play it safe I parked about 15 feet from the building at the KJR-am site and walked the last few feet in the...eight inches of snow. If I get stuck at the transmitter site in the snow there, it's a good ten minute walk to the nearest espresso stand.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 am
You guys forgot your snowshoes, mufflers (scarves for you Southern boys), jumper cables and one shot instant start. And don't forget the lock de-icer.
Clear the driveway before going to bed, wake up to another 12-18". That's when I gave up and got a truck with a plow blade. IIRC you were just West of me at the time. At least I didn't have to deal with Miller Hill. It was bad enough sliding backwards
down Trimble hill over here. :lol:
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Fri May 26, 2017 10:20 am

KPJL FM wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 am
And don't forget the lock de-icer.
I always have a lock de-icer in the Explorer, but I call mine "propane torch with spreader tip."

sallen

Post by sallen » Fri May 26, 2017 11:27 am

I have a small torch for locks too. However there are two lock boxes with plastic parts. Whats a good all metal lock box that does not leak and can be looped on a gate or fence.

RGORJANCE

Re: Contactors! Clear the driveway before going to bed, wake up to another 12-18"

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri May 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Chuck-try driving around in the winter "Up Nort" in da UP, dere hey! Houghton-Hancok, Marquette, Ishpeming, Hurley Burly/Ironwood, etc where the big truck snow plows have a second "wing plow" so they can "terrace" the snow. Ain't no way, if you lose control up there, that you would even be able to leave the road! Everybody drives at 55mph as the snow pack provides decent traction-----except during a panic - deer avoiding---stop.

Woke up one morning in Rice Lake to try finding my car under a whole lot of snow. Hit the road for Eau Claire and barely made it. Found out as I pulled into town that they announced the road had been closed hours ago. Nothing on the radio up there telling that story. Contactors still worked fine.

Fossil

ChuckG

Re: Contactors! Clear the driveway before going to bed, wake up to another 12-18"

Post by ChuckG » Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 3:30 pm
Chuck-try driving around in the winter "Up Nort" in da UP, dere hey! Houghton-Hancok, Marquette, Ishpeming, Hurley Burly/Ironwood, etc where the big truck snow plows have a second "wing plow" so they can "terrace" the snow. Ain't no way, if you lose control up there, that you would even be able to leave the road! Everybody drives at 55mph as the snow pack provides decent traction-----except during a panic - deer avoiding---stop.

Woke up one morning in Rice Lake to try finding my car under a whole lot of snow. Hit the road for Eau Claire and barely made it. Found out as I pulled into town that they announced the road had been closed hours ago. Nothing on the radio up there telling that story. Contactors still worked fine.

Fossil
Bob, I lived in Hurley for a couple years, then Ironwood for about 15. Had stations way over in Marinette/Menominee. If I never have to drive US 2 in the winter again it'll be too soon.

Digging down to find base insulators...that were mounted on 10 foot piers. That too lol.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Ah yes, Ironwood. Always liked driving on the two feet of packed snow topped with cinders.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

RGORJANCE

Re: Contactors! US 2 OUTTA IRONWOOD

Post by RGORJANCE » Sat May 27, 2017 7:03 am

One more war story and I'm dun!

One dark and moonless night as I am departing Westbound outta Ironwood on US 2, I was crusin' about 60-65 mph in my Buick Electra deuce and a quarter with the 455 cu in V8. I started to lose a station so I glanced over to grab the tuning knob. Got it and started tweaking it when all of a sudden, standing on the center line (two lane road) was a "TURDY POINT BUCK" (reference "Dah Yoopers"). It was a Buick, not a "Rusty Chevrolet".

"First you say it, then you do it"! Fortunately, he was not moving as I blasted by him and we had the briefest of eye contact. One of the biggest bucks I ever have seen. He woulda destroyed the Buick, and me included if I had hit him. As I hadn't had supper yet, the clothes didn't require changing. :lol:

Fossil