Engineers office computers

Doesn't fit in a category? It does now.
Jim Sofonia

Engineers office computers

Post by Jim Sofonia » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:23 pm

I had a visiting engineer one time, from Harris I think, who remarked "why do all engineers have the cover permanently missing from their office PC. I dono, I guess we are just nerds! Whats is you're pc like?

lewiscallaway

Re: Engineers office computers

Post by lewiscallaway » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 pm

I have a macbook pro, because I do mostly field work but that perfectly describes the other engineer I work with! It took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn it on when I had to load files onto it :D

I've had to build so many NexGen computers to fit audioscience cards that I can probably do it with my eyes closed!

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:23 pm

My "office" computer is a laptop and the covers are not missing. :lol:
I do have a test mule PC back on the workbench with no covers, it's used for testing parts, copying drives and other similar tasks.

Lewis, I know what you mean. I think I can still build a Scott SS32 blindfolded. Lost track of how many I installed years ago and have replaced/upgraded since. Probably the same ASI card too.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 am

Jim Sofonia wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:23 pm
Whats is you're pc like?
Slow.

Oh, besides that. Has a replacement power supply, because the original fan went noisy on me. The replacement is also noisy. I can stop the noise by banging my fist on my bench. (Same as the old fan). :roll:

I also have a dual NIC 2nd card in it, so I can do IP programming of devices without isolating my machine from the outside world.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Then the PS must be rattling something else, eh?

Mine has a white keyboard and a white mouse. And 4GB of RAM. IT just told me it's time for a new one. They updated anti-virus so I guess it now needs a bazillion GB of RAM and a warp speed 2 processor!
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

jammerdave

Post by jammerdave » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Make sure it includes the "Interstellar Overdrive" option.
Shane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Mine has a white keyboard and a white mouse. And 4GB of RAM. IT just told me it's time for a new one. They updated anti-virus so I guess it now needs a bazillion GB of RAM and a warp speed 2 processor!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Shane wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Definitely the fan. I've pin pointed this stupid thing to the fan. The whole machine is going bye bye this year, so it'll be solved then. :lol:
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"