NECRAT.COM Updates 02/18/08

Have a site with some cool media? Post the links here

NECRAT.COM Updates 02/18/08

Postby NECRAT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 pm

I've decided to post in this thread whenever I have (signifigant) additions to my NECRAT.COM tower photography website.

Today I took a trip to the Eastern Edge of Cape Cod to grab two full power stations I had missed from my big trip back in April of 07. My first destination was to look for the auxiliary installation of WOMR 92.1 Provincetown. After seeing the obvious building where it would be constructed (with nothing built I continued to the Horizon Christian Fellowship "full power" transmitter of WRYP 90.1 Wellfleet. Located in the backyard of a private residence on a side street near the Western Shore of Truro (also known as the "lower cape"), WRYP uses a tightly directional antenna phased by Scala Veritcally polarized yagis. While a plain site, still an interesting looking one. Back onto US 6, and just down the road near the Truro Police Department and a Bank, in a small industrial park I found the newest commercial FM station in Massachusetts, WGTX 102.3 Truro. On what has got to be the shortest FM "tower" (read: Telephone Poll), WGTX operates a full 3,000 watts from this antenna slightly above the roofline of the building. They do have a recently issued construction permit to move to the top of the Police Station about 500' south of here, which has a big self supporting cell phone tower behind it. From WGTX, I headed south to look for (again) the seemingly non-exsistant WXLJ-LP 97.7 down in East Harwich. It still wasn't on the air, and there was still no sign of a transmitting antenna around the house where it is supposidly located. From there it was to check out two translators. Now my rule of thumb is, I don't publish translators unless they are rebroadcasting local stations or are visually pleasing. Today I stopped at the not on the air site of W264BA 100.7 which is licensed to Nantucket Public Radio, and has a newer Shively 2 bay antenna. While looking at this tower, I happened to find another translator , that of W296BR the translator for , none other than WRYP mentioned earlier. Because I wasn't expecting this translator, I have no idea if it is indeed on the air or not. There is a large single Vertically polarized Yagi aimed towards WRYP for the 107.1 translator. From there it was a quick stop by Cape Cod Community College to update some older pictures of WKKL 90.7 Barnstable. The station was live, local, and doing something the majority of the other Cape "educational" licenses are not doing, that is, it is not rebroadcasting WUMB, WBUR, or WGBH, as seems to be the case of other high school stations on the cape. The show (I believe it was the Lemon Slice Show) was actually very entertaining, on a side note. From there it was down to the Rte 6 service road site of W230AW, licensed to and built by Nantucket Public Radio, but it is actually rebroadcasting WRYP on 93.9. A single bay Shively compliments this translator setup, with a phased, 4 Yagi receive array (and a rope supporting one of the antennas!). Finishing off the trip was a stop to get a quick outside shot of Steve Callahan's WVBF 1530 in Middleborough Center. The single AM tower broadcasts various talk programs, and I believe it is a talking information service. The access road is in the rear of a industrial yard, gates aways from the tower.

So all in all, it was an interesting day of travel, and a chance to fill some gaps and complete my list of commercial FM stations in Massachusetts. I have three more AM stations to complete the list of commercial AM stations.
http://www.necrat.us

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
NECRAT
Moderator Team Leader

Re: Official NECRAT.COM Update thread

Postby BroadcastDoc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Is WGTX actually running 3k from that site? I'd be a bit concerned with the lack of protection and RF Safety signs there. An interesting setup indeed!
Christopher "Doc" Tarr CSRE, CBNE, DRB
BroadcastDoc Technical Services
Help support the Virtual Engineer, use our 1&1 Affiliate link if you need good, cheap hosting.
Virtual Engineer. The Broadcast Engineering discussion forum
BroadcastDoc
Site Admin

Postby NECRAT » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:19 pm

You can hear it spottily well inland on the main coastline, so i'd venture to guess they are. I was thinking about that a little too, however you can see the bays are not full spaced, so the down-ward radiation is reduced a bit (I'd guess they are 2/3 wavelength spaced) and at 3kW, the actual RF field on the ground is probably within the limits. However the lack of signage is a big issue. This is probably a temporary setup until they can build on the Cell tower, and the telephone poll becomes an STL tower.
http://www.necrat.us

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."
NECRAT
Moderator Team Leader

Postby chris560 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:50 am

OOPS! That's not going to last long at all ... I'm reminded of a story former WGGB-TV 40 Chief Engineer Ted Gratkowski told me ... someone on Mt. Tom got the idea to mount an FM array similiar to that of the Truro property on a telelphone pole and it cooked a hole through the pole right at the antenna's center of radiation. Poof ... off the air, antenna bent and but destroyed.

C-
chris560

Return to Pics/Video/Audio