Integrating XDS receiver with Wire Ready

Where the magic happens...or something...
Starcastle

Integrating XDS receiver with Wire Ready

Post by Starcastle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:41 am

Am having my first experience with how to automate unattended satellite programming. We use Wire Ready. Have obtained from Cumulus an XDS receiver which Cumulus says uses dry contact closures. Problem is the dish is 15 miles from the studio.
We send audio to xmtr over a T-1 using a Moseley Starlink. It has an RS232 connection that can be used for this arrangement. Wire Ready tells me I need Broadcast Tools device called a GPI 16 to convert the dry contact closures into RS232 language for the Moseley Starlink. Then I am supposed to simply wire the RS 232 connection to the Wire Ready computer and use another Broadcast Tools audio switcher at the studio end which will also connect to the Wire Ready machine to play either Wire Ready files or the Satellite audio from the Moseley return audio line. Cumulus says I shouldn't need the GPI 16 interface. If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Fortunately I have a couple of weeks before any local inserts will be playing.

Dale H. Cook

Re: Integrating XDS receiver with Wire Ready

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 am

Starcastle wrote:Cumulus says I shouldn't need the GPI 16 interface.
Whoever you spoke to a Cumulus is wrong. I see no way to transmit relay closures through the XDS M&C interface in a format that Wire Ready will understand. The Starlink will not pass the dry closures without additional hardware. You need to convert the dry closures to an RS-232 data stream for the Starlink using a format that can be understood by Wire Ready. If WR specified the GPI-16 then its PIP data format is presumably compatible with WR. That is not surprising since the BT PIP data format is supported as a trigger input by a number of automation systems.

I have not used the BT GPI-16 for that purpose, but have used the BT SRC-8 III (now discontinued) for a somewhat similar purpose with a T-1 Starlink, the difference being that I needed a bidirectional system that could pass multiple closures in each direction through the Starlink and which provided dry closures on the outputs to trigger a variety of devices.

I had a quick look at the GPI-16 on the BT site, and it appears to be what you need.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

Starcastle

Post by Starcastle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for the information. I had a feeling this would probably be the case, but when I hear info from someone who has worked in this situation it means a lot. If anyone else would like to offer an opinion I would appreciate it as well. Thanks again for the help.

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Another, simpler method--if you have a spare audio channel on your Starlink-is to use DTMF tones. I've used this when I had to run closures into a different studio where I did not have any multi-pair pulled. A Broadcast Tools DTMF encoder at the satellite receiver, and a decoder at the automation--these units have more than enough closures for most satellite programming.

Starcastle

Post by Starcastle » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks for the second tip. Unfortunately I have both return channels occupied. But I certainly appreciate your taking the time to post the suggestion.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 am

TPT wrote:Another, simpler method--if you have a spare audio channel on your Starlink-is to use DTMF tones.
That would be more complicated for him, as he would need encoders and decoders, plus a GPI-16 at the studios to convert the closures to a serial data stream for Wire Ready. It is far simpler to just put the GPI-16 at the far end and send the serial data through the Starlink serial connection.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html